A bit of reflection on the last year...
I made a list of 13 goals to complete by 2013. I did manage to complete a few, but 13 was way to many. Here is a recap:
- Learn to work with knits. I have exactly zero experience with sewing knit fabric.
- I did make 3 knit shirts that I never hat time to blog about. One came out great, the other 2 were meh... I think I will continue to work with knit fabric, but I will not necessarily make it a priority.
- Sew the Crepe wrap dress from Colette Patterns. Everyone raves about this line of patterns and I have never used them. I suppose this is a general goal to sew items using patterns from companies other than the big 4.
- Sew a pair of shorts, pants or a pencil skirt. Anything that will force me to work on fitting on my lower half.
- Sew a dress or blouse with sleeves. (I always sew dresses with straps because I have really large arms and wide/broad shoulders and I am afraid to do the alterations on a sleeved dress.)
- I made one dress with sleeves but it does not fit quite right. I didn't get to blog about it.
- Learn to use new sewing machine feet. Brian got me 2 fancy sets of sewing machine feet as my "baby bauble" and I have only used the concealed zipper foot. Normal women ask for jewelry =)
- Not much progress here. I have used the overcasting foot a bit but that is all.
- Craft for a charitable organization.
- Learn to grade patterns to different sizes.
- Also no progress here. However, I didn't have a particular pattern that I wanted to use that I didn't have in the appropriate size. If I find something that I really like that is not in my size, I will probably still do this event
- Increase my knowledge of finishing techniques. I hate to have unfinished edges so I need to learn new ways of cleaning up the insides of my projects. At present, I usually just line everything and use flat felled seams.
- Acquire and learn to use a serger.
- I just wanted to get a serger to sew knits. After making a few projects on my regular machine I realized that I don't need a serger. Maybe one day, but not a priority.
- Buy less fabric, notions, etc. I have a bias tape maker so I can make all my bias tape. I have 100's of yards of fabric stashed around the house. Tons of thread. Totally stocked. Use up the stash.
- I got a bit better at this toward the end of the year and I made 4 projects from my stash. I still bought some fabrics and such, but I think I did a bit better than last year.
- Finish up at least one crafty UFO a month. Now to just dig them out...
- I cheated a bit on this one and just shifted them from the UFO to the trash piles. I might try to salvage some of the fabric for something else.
- Actually use my Craftsy classes in which I enrolled. I want to do The Couture Dress and then the Sew Retro Perfect Bombshell Dress. I must add the Sassy Librarian Blouse.
- I have actually managed to go through and watch almost all of my Craftsy classes. I haven't actually done any of the projects, but I have used many of the techniques that were taught in other projects I worked on.
- Learn to make a pattern from a piece of clothing that fits me really well without dismantling it.
- Got some books on the subject but never got around to making anything. Still want to do this sometime. I have the perfect dress that I want to copy.
Overall, I am happy with the amount of progress I made this year, even though I was not able to complete all my goals. I am going to set fewer for next year and hopefully I will be able to accomplish all of them.
Happy New Year, everyone!