Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Monday, October 14, 2013

Butterick 5466 Pencil Skirt


This skirt, Butterick 5466 view D, is just fantastic and easy peasy to make. I chose it because I am tired of making skirts with darts in the front that end up with little bumps. My stomach is relatively flat so there is not really much for the fabric to curve around. I am really happy with the fit. It is probably the most well fitting garment that I have ever made. It is also incredibly comfortable. Not to mention it goes perfectly with my vintage 50's style. Win all around!

Fabric: Heavy weight 100% cotton home dec gingham fabric from my mother in law
Notions: Zipper and thread from my stash
Pattern: Butterick 5466 from my stash. I made a straight size 12 and then just fitted the princess seams on the muslin.
Cost: FREE!

Monday, September 30, 2013

Fall for Cotton Final Project


After a but of fussing with Simplicity 1590, it has been determined that this body does not do well with peplums. I switched over to New Look 6945. It is not a vintage pattern, but I think it is generic enough that with the correct fabric it can look good in a wardrobe from any decade. Pants are vintage reprint  Simplicity 3688.



I did an FBA, Moved the darts about 1" toward the middle, then changed them to princess seams, shortened the bodice by 3/4" and had to grade between different sizes to get it to fit properly. I also widened the back by 1".


Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sunday Strategy 9/29/13


To Do This Week:


  • Get my Fall for Cotton post up.
  • Continue working on my sweater for the Hetty Knit Along.

Recap Of Last Week:

  • Make muslin for Simplicity 1590 and make new pattern after fitting.
    • Turns out I do not look good with anything that has a peplum. Working on another top pattern to replace.
  • Work on Hetty sweater for the knit along.
    • Started sleeves. Going well!

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Sunday Strategy 09/22/13


This week:



Recap Of Last Week:

  • Make muslin for Simplicity 1590 and make new pattern after fitting.
  • Work on Hetty sweater for the knit along.
    • Done body and I am ready to start working on the sleeves.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Shorts For Rose

I made these for Rose last week. They are McCalls 6403. I altered the pattern a lot to get them to fit properly and to get the style she wanted. I removed the pockets. Also, Rose 43" hips and a 28" waist. She is also tall so I had to lengthen the crotch depth 3 inches and lengthen the darts a bunch. Tall, curvy girls just aren't fair =)



Monday, September 16, 2013

Sunday Strategy 9/15/13


I am a bit behind...

To Do This Week:


Recap of last week:


  • Make muslin for Simplicity 1590 and make new pattern after fitting.
    • Didn't get around to it. I was on a total knitting binge.
  • Finish knitting the sleeves for my sweater.
    • Done and blogged here.
  • Finish a pair of shorts I am working on for Rose. I have already made 2 muslins so it should be a piece of cake to throw together the final pair.
    • Finished and a post will be up soon!