I saw an adorable pair of shorts with cherries embroidered on them on Etsy the other day and decided that I must have a pair. They are cute but for the price of $57, I am definitely going to make my own. I did change a few things. I made them fully fitted instead of having the elastic at the back of the waist. I also skipped the pocket and put the cherries on the leg instead. I used my embroidery machine because I don't have the patience to embroider by hand.
Close up of cherries. Plus you can see where I used the really shiny
polyester embroidery thread to do a little contrast top stitching around the legs.
Inside view- I am a bit obsessed with no having raw edges showing.
- Pattern: McCalls 6331 View A (from stash), Self drafted waistband - $1
- Pattern Changes: I lengthened both the front and back darts for a smoother fit. I also added a waistband.
- Fabric: About 1 yard light weight denim from my stash, a gift from Nanan - free
- Notions: Invisible Zipper - $2, Thread from stash - 50¢
- Time: I worked on them over a 3 day period. It would have been faster if I did not have to set up and take down my machines to switch between embroidery and sewing.
- Total Cost: about $4 (I saved $53 by making them myself)