It is going a bit slow but I am quite happy so far. This is a vintage pattern from the early 60's I believe.
Thursday, August 22, 2013
I saw an adorable pair of shorts with cherries embroidered on them on Etsy the other day and decided that I must have a pair. They are cute but for the price of $57, I am definitely going to make my own. I did change a few things. I made them fully fitted instead of having the elastic at the back of the waist. I also skipped the pocket and put the cherries on the leg instead. I used my embroidery machine because I don't have the patience to embroider by hand.
Close up of cherries. Plus you can see where I used the really shiny
polyester embroidery thread to do a little contrast top stitching around the legs.
Inside view- I am a bit obsessed with no having raw edges showing.
- Pattern: McCalls 6331 View A (from stash), Self drafted waistband - $1
- Pattern Changes: I lengthened both the front and back darts for a smoother fit. I also added a waistband.
- Fabric: About 1 yard light weight denim from my stash, a gift from Nanan - free
- Notions: Invisible Zipper - $2, Thread from stash - 50¢
- Time: I worked on them over a 3 day period. It would have been faster if I did not have to set up and take down my machines to switch between embroidery and sewing.
- Total Cost: about $4 (I saved $53 by making them myself)
Monday, August 19, 2013
Saturday, August 17, 2013
I am going to join the Fall for Cotton Sew Along hosted by Lucky Lucille and By Gum, By Golly. I am really excited because I have absolutely a ton of inspiration at the moment and I ALWAYS use cotton. Yay! I will have an inspiration post up in a couple days.
Monday, August 12, 2013
After spending the summer in Hawaii, I came home and started sewing like crazy. I had so much inspiration I needed to get out. I tried to make New Look 6699 but the bodice did not fit correctly. I cut off the bottom and made it into a skirt. More to come later. Sorry the picture is not so good.